Reiki Centres

Rei-ki Happenings 18

The essence of Rei-ki is pure, unconditional love

Retreat a Rousing Success

image image

133 Rei-ki II graduate students joined in a four day healing intensive at Batang Ai in the hinterland of Sarawak (five hours drive from Kuching), combined with local and regional rituals and festivities over June 22 and 30, 2001.

We visited the Orangutan rehabilitation centre in the jungle, a crocodile farm and a village market, as well as a traditional Long House 45 minutes by motorised longboat up river past foreshores of untamed forest and pepper plantations.

There were many profound experiences including water rebirthing supervised by Keven Duff for several participants with phobias or fear of water or swimming, as well as much joy and festivity in celebrating traditional ceremonies and inimitable performances by folk from each rei-ki centre.

Special thanks to Moi Fong and Lawrence Tay, Kuching Co-ordinators and Keven Duff who, together with Christopher Tay (a Rei-ki II practitioner and manager of the Hilton Resort), created an immaculately organised nine day event.

80 year old growing stronger


Judy Tay from Singapore

Before taking up Rei-ki in October 2000, I was in weak health, always felt very tired and was suffering from chronic pain in my body for no reason. Immediately after the Rei-ki I seminar weekend, I felt a brand new me: every day. I am so energetic, even my mother, friends and colleagues see the difference and ask what have I done to my health.

Whenever the opportunity came, I tried to persuade my 80 year old mother to attend the Rei-ki I seminar. She refused flatly, saying that it will be a waste of money because there won't be many years for her to benefit fully from the 'expensive' course. I had to explain to her that we should be looking after her quality of life.

She had been suffering from a weak heart, diabetes, and high blood pressure for 30 years and could not walk out of the apartment block without her walking stick, because of water retention in both legs and feet. So I have been giving her Rei-ki every evening for two solid hours. Sometimes she would feel the energy flow in the area where I gave her Rei-ki and, each time, she would tell me that she feels more energetic and also she can walk better if I give Rei-ki to her legs.

After 15 months of persuasion, eventually she agreed to attend the Rei-ki I seminar herself. I felt very happy for her, even though she would be attending the seminar for two and a half days without understanding any English except words like 'thank you' and 'good bye'.

I registered both my mother and sister for the upcoming class, counting off the days to come for Keven Duff to conduct the class in February 2001. The venue staff provided a wheel chair for my mother to attend the seminar room. She happily slept half the time in class, enjoying being given Rei-ki by many Rei-ki helpers. "Thank you, Everyone". Even in the middle of the seminar, my mother felt very well and alert after so much Rei-ki, and the people there also saw the radiant glow in her face, and her eyes were very much alive. Towards the middle of the second day in the seminar, she could walk to the ladies room without assistance or walking stick. Everyone is so amazed by the magical change.

In the three months following her Rei-ki I seminar, my mother's insulin levels have greatly improved and her blood pressure is on the way down.

Patience and persistence reverse birth trauma


Kelvin Christian, from Adelaide, Sth Australia

Kacy the baby

Kacy is my niece and was born in Sydney on 16th Nov. 1998, with a condition called Erbs Palsy. It was my Sister-in-law, Sue's second child. Kacy was a big baby and delivery was extremely difficult for Sue; they had to use forceps. Kacy had become a little stuck and all the nerves in Kacy's right side of the neck and right shoulder had been torn away from her cervical spine.

The end result was that Kacy could not turn her head to her right side, and her right arm was completely limp from the shoulder down. It was a lifeless limb, which just hung there, useless.

Ten days after Kacy was born, Sue told me of her condition. I was distressed to hear this news and was told that she could possibly have a disability for the rest of her life, but had to wait and see. The nerves could possibly re-grow and attach themselves to bring back some mobility in the arm. It just 'clicked', that I might be able to help by sending Rei-ki II energy, in absentia.

I started the Rei-ki II from that night, for approximately one and a half hours. The drawing energy in my hands was extremely strong, very hot and tingly and did not reduce at all. On the second night, I received images in my mind, possibly about the causes of the pain in a metaphysical sense during absent healing. I continued to send the Rei-ki II energy every single day, at lunch time, and every night, totaling anywhere from 2-4 hours per day. I was so concerned that I drove to Sydney from Adelaide at Christmas time to see what I could do to help.

Kacy looked in pain, discomfort and generally not happy when I met her and nursed her. She took to me immediately. I told Sue that we share a special bond, and she already knew me. Next 4-5 days she smiled for the very first time in her life and seemed content. I nursed her every opportunity and sent Rei-ki II absent healing the rest of the time. I sent healing while driving back home (8-10hours) and at least 2-4 hours each and every day.

On 24th January 1999, after nine weeks, Kacy showed signs of movement in her arm for the very first time. Then I also asked our Adelaide co-ordinator, Adrienne, for more helpers in sending absent healing for a good period of time. Kacy went to a medical specialist in mid February 1999. He was extremely surprised that Kacy had any movement in her arm at all after reading the report from birth. She continued to improve every day. March 15th she went to childcare for the first time. The nanny said that she was the quietest and most calm baby that she had to look after.

In April 1999, after 5 months, the specialist expected a full recovery, with no noticeable disability. Kacy had regained full movement in her right shoulder and she could turn her head normally. The only drawback was that the muscles, attached to the Rotator Cuff on the right hand side, had not fully developed. The specialist also told Sue to move her arm to exercise these muscles every day, which Sue had been doing since February.

In Sept/Oct 1999 (10 months) Kacy was progressing very well, and the muscles were still underdeveloped but were improving. The big test was when Kacy started to crawl. In 2000 Kacy was slow at wanting to crawl, but, as she got started, the muscles all strengthened and developed properly.

Now, as I write this in February 2001 (27 months), Kacy has been walking and talking like any normal child of her age, with no signs of any disability. She also has always been a very quiet and calm baby, never whined, and seemed content. I sent the Rei-ki II energy continuously for 5-6 months each and every day until April/May 1999, to aid the healing until Sue told me that the specialist expected a full recovery. Then I sent it periodically as much as I could over the rest of the time since. I also had Rei-ki II helpers sending for about two months after I asked for help. I was very discouraged and wondered if it was doing any good at first because no improvement could be seen for nine weeks, but I persisted anyway.

My Rei-ki teachers have told us that some things cannot be fixed quickly, they take time. Well I would say that this was the longest and most satisfying program of absent healing that I have had the pleasure of doing. Both Sue and her dad, Cary, are extremely happy with Kacy's progress.

Standing up for Herself - MS Remission


Elizabeth Mylonas from London, UK

I would like to thank everyone involved in my Rei-ki I seminar. I can truly say it was one of the most amazing things that has ever happened to me. I am feeling better than I have felt in a very long time. After being diagnosed with arthritis I could hardly walk at all for five months. Although feeling a lot better when I came to the seminar, I am now walking almost normally, can manage a very little jogging and I am totally free of pain. I never waste my hands as my journey to work allows at least one hour’s Rei-ki a day.

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1987 after seven years of various attacks, and for the next fourteen years I searched for some help.

Then Rei-ki found me in 2001. The weekend Rei-ki I seminar began with my being anxious, as I really did not know what to expect, but I do have to say that everybody there was friendly and very kind. After the first meditation and energy transfer I slept for only three hours. I woke in the morning full of energy, did not fall when getting out of bed and, for the first time in years, my right leg and foot had feeling, was hot and it was itching.

On the second night, I was awake until 3 am and woke at 6 am, again full of energy, and what reduced me to tears of joy was the fact that my eyes were both looking in the same direction. Then I knew that I would never lose my sight again. This is not all. The following week was just as marvelous: my ankle is now straight, and the best was when I saw the physiotherapist at hospital, without the aid of the wheelchair, then being signed off for a few months as she and the MS nurse were both pleased to see the change in me, and how well I looked. I have to say, I was really very proud, and at last no longer ashamed.

I am now ecstatically happy, as multiple sclerosis no longer has a hold on me! I feel that my life has been given back to me, thank you very much to Barbara McGregor and all of the people who attended the March 2001 Rei-ki seminar in London, it has truly changed my life.

Back pain overcome


Diane Hutchings from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I attended my first Rei-ki I seminar to speed my recovery from a back injury, twelve months before. An earlier experience with Rei-ki had given me immediate relief from acute back pain after only minutes of the hands-on energy channeling into my body On another occasion, I was refreshed and revitalized upon receiving Rei-ki, after I'd become suddenly ill and faint at a large public function.

What happened to me at the Rei-ki I seminar weekend was astounding! My eyesight 'adjusted' and I have never worn, or needed, my bifocal glasses since then! My back was improved to near-normal already (rather than in three years time as predicted by a medical specialist) and my general wellbeing soared! I have learned a very effective way to relax (even to fall asleep!) and to revive my energies in a short space of time. I have also learned away to help others gain relief from pain, stress, feeling unwell or fatigued.

First Aid on the Job


Hayden Bold, from Currumbin, Queensland, Australia

It was time to repair our paling fence. In the process of replacing the palings, I decided to use star screws rather than nails. I was merrily replacing the palings with the assistance of our older daughter, when the drill slipped in my hand and the drill bit went into the nailbed on my third finger of my left hand.

The bleeding started immediately. I placed the drill down and started to Rei-ki the finger; however the bleeding did not stop. After a minute I felt something was wrong, then remembered a story regarding bleeding which Barbara McGregor mentioned in London, so I looked at the injury more closely. I pushed at the bottom of my finger with my thumb and out came a sliver of metal. As soon as the metal was out and I started to Rei-ki the finger again, the bleeding stopped. Within a few minutes I felt no pain. I put some plaster on the finger and continued to finish the fence. As a Rei-ki II, I was able to work with Rei-ki in absentia while I continued to complete the work.

Approximately one week later, I was talking to a nurse neighbour and mentioned the story. He looked at the injury and did not believe it was only a week old. He observed that it appeared to have happened 4-6 weeks back.

Faith, hope and miracle for Great Dane


Kevin Watt, from Stewart’s River, NSW, Australia

My 8 year old daughter had pestered me, literally for years, to buy her a Great Dane. The eldest had her dog, the next had her horse or three, and now a Great Dane was in demand for the third daughter.

Now a Great Dane is not usually a good idea, but as we live on 100 acres, it was not expected to be a problem. The road is gravel with very few cars approaching, but sure enough at the age of about six months she was hit by one of our infrequent passing cars. It was immediately visible that she had two breaks in her near side hind leg. Dutifully we took her to the vet for the expected cast. Not so simple.

X-rays (which we still have) showed the growth plate had been separated from the leg and could not reattach without surgery and only specialist veterinary surgeons from Sydney University four hours drive away could perform this expensive operation, with a limited chance of success.>

A family meeting unanimously decided we would forgo the surgery and rei-ki the growth plate instead. Now a Great Dane puppy will only keep still for a short time, even with a broken leg. Although our two eldest daughters had Rei-ki I hands-on whenever possible, we assessed the time we needed hands-on would be impossible with this highly active and large puppy.

My partner, Cheree, and I used Rei-ki II absent healing on her for weeks at every opportunity. Six months later, the breaks had mended and the leg that had been broken is now the same length as the others, in spite of considerable overall growth in that period. So our little girl has her dog back without any deformities.

Tasha the much loved Great Dane is so sound she runs with the horses on 20 kilometer long trail rides, without noticeable difficulty. Rei-ki had done the impossible, or at least the improbable.

Purrs and Paws


Pamela Croft, from Melbourne, Australia

Pam's Cat I have a cat. She was a very aggressive cat: I would pat her, she would bite or scratch me. This had been going on for 12 years, but I love her dearly so I put up with it. Having recently become a Rei-ki I student, I decided to try rei-ki on her. Well, I can assure you that miracles do happen. After a couple of sessions with her, she has been transformed from an aggressive cat into a loving and gentle cat. Every chance she gets, she will hop onto my lap and expect rei-ki. She puts her paws around my neck and purrs so loudly I am sure my next door neighbour can hear her. I admit that I was a little skeptical about whether rei-ki would or would not work for me. Now I can't wait to do Rei-ki II and go on to bigger and better things.

Rei-ki House Relocation

The Rei-ki House has relocated to a cottage at

68 Sutherland Street, Neutral Bay, Sydney

with purpose-dedicated healing and meeting rooms,
managed by International Usui Rei-ki Network co-ordinator

Marie Voorma
International: +61 2 9981 6215
National: 02 9981 6215
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)